How to secure your Bitcoin wallet? Quick guide
According to the latest F-Secure report, 700 attacks on Poland are carried out within one hour. A statistical hacker needs about 4 hours to get full access to the server of the Polish company. Ordinary users’ computers can be dealt with in a few minutes and sometimes seconds.
Although blockchain is one of the most secure technologies in the world, hackers manage to rob users of millions of dollars in the form of cryptocurrencies. Still, a large number of people are not aware of the seriousness of the situation. None of us allows himself to think that he may become a victim of cyber attack. Unfortunately, this problem will only intensify, and its scale grew at a surprisingly fast pace.
How do hackers work?
First of all, we have to start using the best antivirus that God has created, that is, our reason. Yes, yes, the best antivirus is our reason, specifically, rational thinking!
Every hacker can be compared to a bad wolf from a fairy tale about a Red Riding Hood, who tries to get to the house of the Red Riding Hood’s grandmother at all costs. Our hacker will want to access your computer at all costs. In his actions he will be extremely creative and clever, just like our fairy tale wolf.
Hackers most often want to evoke emotions in us and through them influence our decisions.
Nowadays, fraudsters use the simplest techniques of manipulating people, extracting sensitive information from them, thanks to which they are able to access their computers. The simplest way to do this is to use false emails.
An ideal example are false emails sent by hackers who impersonate institutions that inspire trust in us, such as: Police, Polish Post Office, banks, etc. The most easy way to do this is to use false e-mails. I was a witness myself when a secretary of the company I worked for, unaware of the danger, clicked on the link, which was to check where is currently the allegedly sent parcel. Within a few minutes, all the files on her computer were encrypted. Hackers left an instruction that after paying the ransom (about 2 thousand zlotys in the form of Bitcoin BTC) the company will receive a decryption key that will decrypt all the files. The whole event took place in 2012 and made me interested in cryptocurrencies
How to protect your Bitcoin wallet
Emails sent by hackers can also be used to capture our login data. People often use the same passwords on different services and this gives our hacker a lot of possibilities. Therefore, the password to your Bitcoin wallet should be unique and never used before.
A few tips on the security of wallets from our editorial office!
- Never use public Wi-Fi networks. Connecting to an unsecured network enables cyber criminals to intercept key data such as bank passwords.
- Back up regularly. Backing up takes a few minutes and can save you hours if not days of work. Data recovery is not an easy process and companies specializing in this field often count several thousand for such a service.
- Use strong passwords. The more complicated the password, the more difficult it is to remember it. Many of you prefer to use passwords that are easy to remember and thus easy to break.
- Avoid mobile and browser wallets. Never but never, don’t use them!
- Update your apps and systems regularly. Updates often include key security patches. Failure to do so makes it much easier to access our data. In particular, update your system wallets. Such as Exodus.
- Use only known and tested cryptocurrencies wallets.
- Encrypt your wallets. On the web you will find a lot of free applications that will encrypt your wallets. Access to encrypted data is practically impossible for hackers.
- Diversify your Bitcoins into several wallets. Don’t keep all your funds in one place. Spread them over several different wallets.
Of course, following the above advice will not give you 100% security, but it will significantly reduce the loss of accumulated funds.
Although the blockchain technology itself is very secure, the scale of attacks on cryptocurrencies users is huge. This is related to the growing popularity of Bitcoin and its price.
Subscribe for newsletter
* You will receive the latest news and updates on your favorite celebrities!